Cummins Inc. has released its annual Sustainability Report, a 140-page document outlining the company’s achievements and goals in environmental sustainability. This year’s report theme, Living Our Values, focuses on Cummins six core values – integrity, innovation, delivering superior results, corporate responsibility, diversity and global involvement.
Highlights of the report include:
- Cummins has set a goal of reducing energy use and greenhouse gas emissions by 25 percent and 27 percent, respectively, by 2015;
- Cummins has set a goal of reducing direct water use across the company by 33 percent, adjusted to hours worked while achieving water neutrality at 15 manufacturing sites in water-stressed countries by 2020;
- Cummins set a goal of increasing the company’s recycling rate from 89 percent to 95 percent and achieving “zero disposal” status at 30 sites by 2020;
- A Cummins team helped improve fuel efficiency by 4 to 6 percent for a large mining company, saving it $14 million and reducing GHG emissions by 27,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide annually;
- The Cummins-Peterbilt “Supertruck” averaged a 75-percent increase in fuel economy, a 43-percent reduction in GHG emissions and an 86-percent gain in freight efficiency, while achieving nearly 11 miles per gallon under real world conditions;
- Cummins employees volunteered 308,783 hours in community service activities;
- Cummins Environmental Challenge projects reduced 19,000 tons of GHGs, a new record equivalent to taking 3,950 vehicles off the road for a year.
The full 140-page report can be accessed at www.cummins.com/sustainability as can a 16-page executive summary.
“Cummins’ values provide us with a foundation that enables our company to look at challenging times not as a moment to stand still, but rather as an opportunity to position ourselves for a bright future relying on our values to guide us more than ever,” said Cummins chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger.
Cummins, a manufacturer of diesel and natural gas engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emissions solutions and electrical power generation systems, is based in Columbus, Ind.