Numerous associations, organizations and sources can help rental centers develop and maintain comprehensive safety programs. While manufacturers are often the best source for specific product information, here is a list of some general references that can offer assistance to businesses of all sizes.
* American Rental Association - Posters, videos and other safety-related media, including its Safety Training System, which is designed specifically for equipment rental centers. Contact info: 800/334-2177; fax: 309/764-1533; 1900 19th St., Moline, IL 61265-4198; Web site: www.ararental.org
* Associated Equipment Distributors - Sells videos and safety manuals covering a variety of topics, from general themes such as "Repair Technician Safe Practices" to items covering specific types of equipment. Contact info: 630/574-0650; fax: 630/574-0132; 615 W. 22nd St., Oak Brook, IL 60523; Web site: www.aednet.org
* Construction Industry Manufacturers Association - Several programs, including videos produced by Safety Saves. Contact info: 414/272-0943; fax: 414/272-1170; 111 E. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53202; Web site: www.cimanet.com
* Crane Institute of America - Safety training classes/seminars for aerial work platforms, forklifts and cranes. Contact info: 800/832-2726; 1063 Midland Center Commons, Suite 100, Maitland, FL 32751; Web site: www.craneinstitute.com
* Equipment Manufacturers Institute - Equipment safety manuals that provide owners, operators, service personnel and mechanics with basic safety procedures and warnings for their day-to-day work with the equipment. Contact info: 312/321-1470; fax: 312/321-1480; 10 S. Riverside Plaza, Chicago, IL 60606-3710; Web site: www.emi.org
* Industrial Safety and Maintenance Network - An online source for information, services and products related to industrial safety and maintenance, including training and monthly updates on regulations and compliance. Contact info: www.ismnetwork.com
* National Safety Council - A nonprofit organization dedicated to occupational health and safety, traffic safety, home safety and environmental health. Contact info: 630/285-1121; fax: 630/285-1315; 1121 Spring Lake Drive, Itasca, IL 60143-3201; Web site: www.nsc.org
* National Resource Safety Center - A free safety video lending library in addition to other paid services. Contact info: 800/468-4296; e-mail: [email protected]; Web site: www.nrsc.com
* Occupational Safety & Health Administration - Web site offers free news, information and details of its inspections. Contact info: 202/693-1999; Public Affairs Office, 200 Constitution Ave., Room 3647, Washington, DC 20210; Web site: www.osha.gov
* Rental Industry Association (formerly California Rental Association) - Comprehensive "how-to" safety manuals as well as videos written and produced by the association covering topics such as scissorlifts, pressure washers and trailers. Contact info: 800/272-7400; fax: 530/666-1233; P.O. Box 1967, Woodland, CA 95776; Web site: www.riassn.org
* Safety and the Supervisor - A biweekly safety newsletter; cost: $299 per year. Contact info: Clement Communications, 800/345-8101; fax: 800/459-1659; e-mail: [email protected]
* Safety Online - Web site features daily news and product updates designed for professionals in the safety industry. Contact info: 800/324-3951; Web site: www.safetyonline.com
* Scaffold Industry Association - Promotes scaffold and aerial work platform safety and education through its publications, conventions, trade shows and training programs. Contact info: 818/610-0320; fax: 818/610-0323; 20335 Ventura Blvd., Suite 310, Woodland Hills, CA 91364; Web site: www.scaffold.org
* The Training Network - Videos, CD-ROMs, meeting kits, posters and booklets for general safety and specific industries, including construction. Contact info: 800/390-8283; fax: 919/544-5800; Web site: www.tni-online.com
Note: The above is not a comprehensive list, but a safety information starter kit for equipment rental centers and distributors. For safety aids related to specific types of equipment, most manufacturers offer videos and brochures covering specific training and maintenance.