Your construction contractor customers are finding out just how useful the Internet can be when they want to check orders, buy or repair equipment, or run training programs, according to a recent Construction Industry Manufacturers Association (CIMA) survey.
Indicating the rising level of contractor Web usage, the survey found that 60 percent of respondents do online machinery searches and 67 percent use the Internet for procurement. Over a quarter of the contractors said they purchase equipment online.
Other findings included these:
* 96 percent of respondents are online;
* 70 percent report connection speeds of 56 Kbps or greater;
* 37 percent search for information on replacement parts;
The contractors also highlighted features that appeal to them on manufacturer Web sites. They include the following:
* Ability to configure and price construction equipment products;
* Ordering of replacement parts;
* Ability to check order status of equipment and parts;
* Access to troubleshooting resources and repair history;
* List of available used equipment and information on where equipment is available to rent;
* Web-based care and operations training;
* Electronic links between manufacturers and distributors.
The survey, which had a 20 percent response rate, was targeted at the Associated General Contractors.